Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sarcasm? Me? Nooooooo

I recently read an article by Paul Coughlin who is also the author of "No More Jellyfish, Chickens or Wimps: Raising Secure, Assertive Kids in a Tough World".


In the article that I read he covers Parental Sarcasm.


I find it very interesting that I happen to find this article 2 days after I blogged about my 7th grade teacher's damaging giggle. Ya see, my husband and I are the King and Queen of sarcasm. When I read the title "Parental Sarcasm is no Joke", I was immediately convicted.


I thought, "What have I done?!? Have I scarred for life? What can I do to fix it?"


Coughlin calls sarcasm a "double edged sword, able to spark laughter as well as inflict pain..."


He does point out sarcasm's good side. The prophet Elijah mocked the priests of Baal in I Kings 18:27. "At noon Elijah began to taunt them. "Shout Louder!" he said, "surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened." This is my favorite use of sarcasm of all time! ;)
Jesus also used sarcasm with the Pharisees. "You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but you swallow a camel." (Matt. 23:24)


If you notice in these examples sarcasm is directed at the stubborn, self righteous and arrogant, but never against the weak or wounded.


Too many of us use sarcasm to wound without it appearing like a wounding. Then we say, "can't you take a joke?"


Since reading this article, I have tried to curb my sarcasm habit, not just at home but with everyone.


"The tongue has the power of life and death," (Proverbs 18:21)


I want to speak words of life. Words that are of encouragement and empowerment, not wounding mockery. Anyone can be rude and laugh but those of us who are children of The Most High need to choose our words for carefully.


I guess, grandma was right, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." (unless it's to the priests of Baal or the Pharisees) ;p








You can find out more about Paul Coughlin by visiting http://www.family.org/ .

1 comment:

CailinMarie said...

yes... the tongue is a sword...